The South West RIFF is filling vacancies that have arisen from resignations that occurred at the end of 2018 before beginning a process of renewing the membership of the RIFF. The renewal process will commence once these vacancies have been filled. The vacancies have arisen in the following areas/sectors:
- East Cork (East side of Cork Harbour to Youghal).
- West Kerry (south of Brandon to Cromane).
- South Kerry (Glenbeigh to Caherdaniel).
- Islands community representative.
Using the Fleet register of 28.06.2019 all vessel owners in the respective regions have been written to detailing the area in which a replacement is required. Applications are invited from people who are interested in representing their area and the fishers in it. Applications must be made on the formal application form and returned to the RIFF secretariat before the date specified on the letter (31st of July, 2019).
Once the applications are received, the RIFF secretariat will write to all registered vessel owners to inform them of those offering to represent them and how they propose to communicate the work of the RIFF with fishers. A mandate form will also be provided to allow them to indicate their preferred candidate. In order to be successful a candidate must have 66% or majority of the fleet register mandate to gain the seat on the SW RIFF.
For those who are interested in representing the fishers in their area they will need to demonstrate the following:
- their ability to represent the views of the inshore sector,
- their knowledge of inshore fisheries, fish stocks, and fishing methods,
- their knowledge of relevant environmental legislation and
- their capacity to engage on fisheries and environmental management issues.
In appointing fisheries RIFF members, each RIFF must strive to make the membership representative of the RIFF’s region’s geographical coverage and the characteristics of the region’s inshore fleet and fisheries.
If you would like to apply for one of the above positions or are require more information, please email SWRIFF@inshorefourums.ie or ring Vera O’Donovan on 087 2246518 or 066 9150909